Saturday, October 10, 2009

Chunky Spaghetti Sauce...Pizza Sauce

No crafty project for today I wanted to share with you some healthy sauces that use no added sugar and the fat is EVOO. I have been making bunches of both of these lately my family can't get enough. Also at the bottom I have listed our favorite breakfast cereals and whole grain bread.

Chunky Spaghetti Sauce
EVOO
1 medium green pepper
1 medium onion
1 garlic clove (I use minced garlic in a jar)
2 cans tomatoes
1/4C tomato paste
1-1/2t minced fresh oregano or 1/2t dried oregano
1-1/2t minced fresh basil or 1/2t dried basil


Directions: green peppers, onion and garlic; cook until tender in evoo, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano and basil; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. I double the batch and place half in the freezer for another quick meal. This is wonderful over your Whole Grain Pasta (see previous post).

Pizza Sauce
1 can tomatoes
1/4C tomato paste
1 small onion minced
2t fresh basil
2t oregano
2 to 4 cloves garlic (I use minced garlic in a jar...just easier for me)
1/4t salt
1/4t pepper

Simmer on stove, buzz in blender return to a simmer. Once again I will double or more so I have some to freeze for quick meals. Wonderful to use with your whole wheat pizza crust (scroll down for recipe).

So for breakfast grains we now go with Oatmeal (old fashioned), Cheerios and Malt 0 Meal along with whole grain bread. (Our favorite is Pepridge Farm) link here.

Happy Stamp Day!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Great job with the healthy eating and cooking Sara!

Cheryl said...

So proud of you for the changes you are making. You are doing a great thing for your entire family.
Cheryl

Chris said...

this is how i make my spaghetti sauce too...do you use san marzano tomatoes? they are from italy, they are like eating the sun. we also eat cheerios, scott has hi cholesterol, but not like your dh. i'm going to get some whole grain noodles this week when shopping.

Banu said...

Sara, good recipe...I am not sure I am upto making Pizza dough from scratch, but your recipe sounds so easy that I might give it a shot.