Saturday, January 5, 2008
Re-Purposed Valentines Topiaries tutorial...
This past season SCS had a paper trees tutorial, I liked them but thought of some other things that could be done as well so below you will find a written tutorial on how to make my Rolled Paper Topiary. This topiary is using re-purposed Christmas Tutorial idea along with Christmas shreds and ribbons that were purchased at after Christmas sales at Hobby Lobby, the paper is from Target $ Spot. Gotta go check out the Valentines selection there it was fun looking at what they had, and the mail-boxes are in stock agian this year!
Styrofoam balls (2)
5/16" by 12" wooden dowel
foam paint brush
paper piercer (or other sharp long tool that would be similar)
1) Paint your clay pot inside and out with acrylic paint and let dry.
2) Paint your wooden dowel with acrylic paint.
3) Cut your DP to this measurement 1 3/4" BY 5/8".
4) Wrap your cut strip around the pencil (not so tight or it becomes hard to remove from the pencil).
5) Place a small amount of adhesive at the end of the paper to hold in place, (this will make your rolled paper tube).
6) Remove paper tube from pencil, I found it helpful to sort my paper tubes by color and style as I made them.
7) Start placing your rolled paper tubes with one pin dipped in adhesive, I used the end of my paper piercer to help push the pin in place since I was working with a small opening I found this to be a very helpful tool. There is no set pattern, just start on one side and keep placing your rolled paper, remember to leave room at the bottom to insert the dowel.
8) Insert wooden dowel into the bottom of the Styrofoam ball.
9) Cut the second Styrofoam ball in half, then shave off the edges so it will fit inside your painted clay pot.
10) Place your Styrofoam into your pot so the rounded side is facing the bottom of the pot.
11) Insert your wooden dowel into the center of the Styrofoam that is now inside your clay pot.
12) Tie on your ribbons at the bottom of your rolled paper Styrofoam ball.
Blog Candy update
You have 'til Wednesday Jan 9th to leave the requested comment in the post below this one, all comments are saved but will not be posted 'til Wednesday. I will then pick a winner using the random number generator. You do not have to have the correct answer to win and you can enter as many times as you wish.
Monday I will have a tutorial on how to make the Heart Topiary.
Happy Stamp Day!