Friday, July 8, 2011

Mulberry Jam Blue Ribbon Recipe

 One batch of Rhubarb Mulberry Jam has been made.  Below is my favorite way to enjoy it. 
Dark rye bread, cream cheese and Jam.  YUMMY!
Little J loves it when Mom makes fun shapes with the bread.  Oh, the wonderful little things!


Rhubarb Mulberry Jam

Wash and chop 5 C Rhubarb
Place into non stick pot

Add 4 C of Sugar
Let the Rhubarb sweat under the sugar as you prepare the Mulberries.

Prepare 3 C of crushed Mulberries.
I wash and freeze my berries.  When I am ready to use them I quick thaw in the microwave.
This makes it so much easier to remove the stems and crush the fruit at the same time.
I also like to put them on top of the sugar that way if I miss a stem it becomes visible and can be removed.

Bring to a hard boil and boil for 10 minutes.

Add 1 package of Cranberry Jello 
continue to cook for 10 minutes.

Pack into prepared Jars.
Hot water boil for 15 minutes.
Let cool and store.

I have won a blue ribbon with this recipe at our county fair and it is some YUMMY stuff!  The hardest part is preparing the Mulberries and making sure the stems are removed.  
There is nothing worse than getting a woody stem with a bite.


Here is another fun little snack for the summer.
Dark Rye bread again with cream cheese.  
This time cuts of fresh cucumber and tomato topped with fresh Dill.  So good!

Have a Happy Stamp Day!  God Bless.


3 comments:

Amy said...

Yum! This DOES sound good!

Jen said...

That sounds yummy! Cute heart shaped toast=).

Chris said...

these look wonderful!!